Cyber security refers to the systems which protect and safeguard your organisation’s data from attacks and threats. An attack on your data can cause immeasurable damage through loss of data and disruptions to operations. It is estimated that by 2021, cybercrime will cost $6 trillion worldwide.
Every organisation has vulnerabilities in their systems which can be exploited by attackers. Having strong cyber security procedures in place will protect your data from attacks such as computer viruses, data breaches, phishing, and Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.
So, how can your organisation mitigate cyber security risks?
- Secure third party cloud applications through adding two way authentication via SMS or a mobile app such as Google, Microsoft authenticator or Authy
- Improve the strength of passwords. It’s good practice to use passwords over 12 letters long with upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters such as “IwastheBestin1971!”. When passwords meet these guidelines it would take a hacker over a million years to hack them
- Establish a cyber security policy in your organisation which guides best practice, such as ensuring that passwords aren’t shared
- Update passwords every 90 days
- Train employees on how to identify online scams, phishing attempts and other cyber attacks
- Ensure operating systems are up to date on the organisation’s devices and the employees’ devices if your organisation permits BYOD (Bring your own device)
- Install antivirus software on the organisation’s devices and the employees’ devices (for BYOD) and ensure the subscription is valid and working
- Ignore or delete suspicious emails or hang up suspicious calls. Never give remote access to your devices
- Limit what you share on social media to protect against identity theft or spear phishing
- Report potential cyber crime activity. If you believe you have been the victim of a cyber security attack or believe an attempt was made against you, report it to the Cyber Security Centre
By entrusting your cyber security needs to a trusted IT provider, you gain peace of mind that your data and business is protected.